- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, medium diced
- 1 stalk celery, medium diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 (16 ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 ½ cups chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 bunch fresh spinach, rinsed and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
In a large saucepan, heat oil. Cook onion and celery in oil for 5 to 8 minutes, or until tender. Add garlic, and cook for 30 seconds, continually stirring. Stir in beans, chicken stock, pepper, thyme and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and then simmer for 15 minutes.
With slotted spoon, remove 2 cups of the bean and vegetable mixture from soup and set aside. With an emersion blender, blend the remaining soup in the pot until well blended, then add the reserved to cups back to pot.
Bring to a boil, occasionally stirring. Stir in spinach and cook 1 minute or until spinach is wilted. Stir in lemon juice and remove from heat and serve with fresh grated Parmesan cheese on top.